Caring For Your Lawn Mower
The easiest way to get a great looking lawn is with a great lawn mower, so make sure you’re keeping your power lawn and garden equipment in tip-top shape by following these simple push mower maintenance tips and scheduling guide.
Push Mower Maintenance Schedule
Start a maintenance routine as soon as you buy your push mower. With all new mowers and outdoor power equipment it’s a good practice to break in the engine. To do this, do not operate the mower at full speed for the first 5-10 hours of use. Then, change the oil after the first 5 hours. After that, establish a routine maintenance schedule like the one below to avoid costly lawn mower repairs. Looking to purchase a new push mower, but unsure of lawn mower types and features? Check out our push mower buying guide.
Every 8 Hours
- Check oil level – old or contaminated oil should be drained and replaced
- Inspect mower blades for wear or damage
- Clean the deck
- Brush off the mower to keep debris from collecting on the blade
Every 25 Hours
- Check blade and engine mounting fasteners – tighten if loose
- Clean or replace air filter
Every 50 Hours
- Change engine oil
- Lubricate the wheels
- Ensure the blade stops within 3 seconds of releasing the blade control bar
- Check for leaks in fuel system
- Replace or have blade sharpened
- Replace air filter if not done at 25 hours
- Replace spark plug
- Clean cooling system
- Empty gas tank and drain oil at end of season
Ready to shop mowers? At American Freight Store, we have a large variety of mower models suitable for any sized yard: gas self-propelled, gas push, zero turn radius, lawn tractors, yard tractors and garden tractors. Need to fix your mower? We also carry lawn mower parts and accessories and tractor parts and accessories such as air and oil filters, mower blades, mower drive belts, and much more.